Powered by WebAds

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Too-Connected Life

...and I'm not talking about marriage or Torah study....no, I'm talking about the fact that I barely have time for either of these important aspects of life; it's a challenge to find time to walk the dogs (0530 seems to work best or late at night); I haven't seen a gym or pool since October; I now need to schedule coffee with friends; and why is this?

Because I spend eight to nine hours a day on a computer doing work. I'm not complaining--Thank G-d I have work in this economy! But when I'm done, I need to pay bills, answer emails, fax personal documents, and update Facebook.

Yes, Facebook.

I've been Facebooked. This started out as a harmless way for several ulpan friends to stay in touch when we all ended our class together. It's Mona's fault! No, really, Mona was kind enough to set me up on Facebook and show me the basics. Then others showed me how to upload photos. Then I connected with some old friends and they have mutual friends, and that led to more connecting with other friends......and now I have pictures, and they have pictures, and I get to see my friends' vacation pictures, follow my stepdaughters' travel adventures and baby pictures, keep in touch through pictures and brief notes with people Far Away.

Think Harry Potter-like photo album with constantly changing messages and pictures in real time.

Neat, huh?

And exhausting. And it's all done on computer. I owe emails to about 12 people; I owe my family more quality time; I owe myself a break from the screen.

I enjoy reading Other People's Blogs -- travel, politics, culture, books, life in (insert name of country here)......but who has time?!

I can't even find time to post on my own blog.

I'm not a big fan of lying by a pool in a deserted desert spa setting.....but recently, between work, bills, Facebook, blogging (or not), keeping up with other bloggers, receiving and sending emails.....I feel like I have my own power cable attached to the electronic contraptions on my desk and they're eating their way into my brain.....

Resistance is Futile....I'm being assimilated.....and I suspect sitting by a desert pool for a few days without anything electronic to do might be The Cure.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mo-ha-med said...

"Harry Potter-like photo album with constantly changing messages and pictures"
It's surely the most laudatory description of facebook I've ever heard. :)

As for taking a few days away from the computer - something tells me that, like for most of us - it's too late. :)

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 2:32:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger rutimizrachi said...

Go for The Cure, Girl! I know what you mean. Teenangels got me started on Facebook... which I have subsequently dropped. I think I got tired of being snowballed or werewolved or what-have-you'd... The teenangels have figured out how to keep in touch in other ways. I do miss seeing other people's "status updates" and photos; but the maintenance was beginning to make me feel as if I lived in the Matrix. Nice to get outside, and feel the winds of Israel blowing on my face. Ahhhhh.... the sweet release of unhooking periodically from Cyberspace...

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 11:44:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Gila said...

Oy--tell me about it!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 7:50:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Baila said...

I love FB. I have found old friends, and have made new friends. It is totally addictive and yes, I should be on it less, but who are we kidding, I'd find some other way to procastinate anyway.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 10:43:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Batya said...

I'm glad that facebook hasn't hooked me. I do have an account, but I prefer blogs and emails and PEOPLE, f2f.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 11:13:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Water. Thank G-d.
  • Happiness Is Getting The Computer Back
  • A Dying Of The Light
  • Party Time
  • Turn, Turn, Turn, There Is A Season....
  • Kvelling
  • Day One of the "Cease-Fire"
  • Why Children Die In Gaza
  • Satire Takes A Bite...
  • He Said WHAT??
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger