Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Happiness Is Getting The Computer Back

My stepdaughter recently decided to live without a cellphone due to its ubiquitous demands on her time. I thought this was very brave, although I don't get so many phone calls, so it isn't the same thing.

Then, the computer went kerploot -- and into the shop.

I had never realized how dependent I had become on this little mechanical device...emails, communication with family, daily news reports, all the blogs I read, checking the bank account (oh,no!), paying the bills online (oy vey!)...and The Husband keeps in touch with friends and baseball team on the computer, and this isn't even touching Facebook. I have a Facebook page. I mostly have it because my friends from ulpan use it as a way of us keeping in touch and posting pictures but it, also, has expanded. It's nice to see pictures of my friends' children, and what they're up to. It's nice to get pictures of my cousins' place in the winter, and photos of Yosemite from my girlfriend. The Boy uses the computer for multiple things mostly involving Star Trek and computer games...

You would think we were all heroin addicts in this household. The daily question was, "When will the computer be fixed?"

With the computer in the shop, everyone has been irritable.

We're disconnected from the World Wide Web. We're disconnected from our addiction to whatever it is the computer gives us: connection to blogs, to news, to emails, to message boards, to chat rooms, to Facebook, to cyberspace's ubiquitous siren call.

It was irritating, but also liberating. I may need to answer emails but I couldn't; I needed to pay bills but I couldn't; I wanted to catch up on news and blogs, but I couldn't. The fact that I couldn't also meant that there was NO pressure to do these things.

But today, the computer is back (thanks, Yossi!)and we're back on the 'Net. For better or worse.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I was thinking that you really had your nose to the grindstone! Glad to see you back!

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 4:25:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

well, I really DO have my nose to the grindstone, besides, but without the computer I found I had a lot more time but much less connection with the people I've become accustomed to 'seeing' virtually. Thanks for the welcome back!

Monday, March 9, 2009 at 7:43:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Batya said...

I spend a lot of time on the computer, but every year I go to the states to see my parents who don't have one. Then for close to 3 weeks I'm restricted to a couple of hours at the public library and sneaking a few minutes here and there when at friends and relatives.
Surprisingly, those breaks get easier. It has become part of my annual routine, probably because they're planned. Having the computer suddenly "stop" is much harder, since there's no way to prepare yourself.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 6:47:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger Mo-ha-med said...

I cannot. But my addiction is primarily limited to email, and when I'm away from home for the weekend I seek wifi hotspots 3 or 4 times a day to check my email with my telephone (thank God for that little smart thingie!!)

But past a few days, I don't know what I would do without my several hours a day online!

Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 9:32:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • A Dying Of The Light
  • Party Time
  • Turn, Turn, Turn, There Is A Season....
  • Kvelling
  • Day One of the "Cease-Fire"
  • Why Children Die In Gaza
  • Satire Takes A Bite...
  • He Said WHAT??
  • SkyNews Beats BBC For Bias
  • Taghreed El Khodary in Gaza
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger