Satire Takes A Bite...
Apart from the MSM, however, people seem to 'get it.' One tongue-in-cheek writer for NRO proffered a "moderate proposal" to cure what Hamas (and the French and all Arab media outlets)mendaciously claim is a "disporportional response:"
1) Request that 50% of Israel's air-to-ground missiles be duds to ensure greater proportionality.
2) Allow Hamas another 1,000 free rocket launches to see if they can catch up with the body count.
3) Have Israeli soldiers congregate in border barracks so that Hamas's random rockets have a better chance of killing military personnel, to ensure it can claim at least a few military targets.
4) Redefine "holocaust" to refer to deaths of terrorists in numbers under 400 to give greater credence to Hamas's current claims.
5) In the interest of fairness, allow Hamas to establish both the date that war is supposed to begin and the date when it must end.
6) Send Israeli military advisers to Hamas to improve the accuracy of their missiles.
7) Take down the barriers to return to Hamas a fair chance of getting suicide bombers back inside Israel.
(Thank you, Victor.)
"Disproportional" is actually defined by International Law, and this ain't it.
Let's keep in mind, also, the sheer hypocrisy of invoking international law by the people who are the most flagrant violators of it:
Did you harbor doubts about Hamas using civilians as human shields, check out the very detailed map the Hamasnikim left behind in their flight:
Aussie Dave who along with Jameel , has done excellent live-blogging (go there for updates) explains:
[The map]shows how Hamas uses an entire neighborhood, rigging it with explosive devices and putting the entire civilian population at great risk. The map shows the al-Tatraa neighborhood in Gaza City divided into three areas of operation (red, blue and green). The dots on the map indicate where Hamas operatives had planted a variety of IEDs (improvised explosive devices), with the colors indicating the type of IED. Additional marks show sniper positions next to mosques. Next to the entrance of the el-Tawid mosque near to Shauuda Plaza at the top left of the map there is a sniper posting with marking indicating the direction of fire marked on the map. At the bottom center of the map there is a gas station where Hamas planted an IED which, if activated, could cause a very large explosion throughout the neighborhood.
An overall study of the map demonstrates how Hamas deliberately uses civilians, using them as live targets and hiding behind them; they plant IEDs at the enterances of homes, they booby trap homes and they use places of worship, all with no regard to collateral damage or civilian lives.
Yet, safe in his armchair, in a bunker somewhere in Damascus, Mashaal, Leader of Hamas, pontificates that the fight will go on. A shame he's not in Gaza where he could experience first-hand the effect of his jihadi, genocidal policies.