Powered by WebAds

Friday, September 12, 2008

Temptations

Temptation:

1. the act of tempting; enticement or allurement.
2. something that tempts, entices, or allures.
3. the fact or state of being tempted, esp. to evil.

Synonyms 1. lure, attraction, pull, seduction, inducement.

We all know what this is. We joke about illicit sex and chocolate, the staples of temptation, referencing the age old failure of marital fidelity and diets.

Most of us can walk away from the Big Temptations: adultery, murdering the guy who just cut you off in traffic, eating an entire container of Ben & Jerry's ice cream when dieting......

Yet I have to confess to having a contrary streak. Of all the mitzvot H"S gave us, know what I have the biggest problem with?

Meat and milk. That's right. Easy mitzvah, really. Easier than just about anything.....except that for some odd reason, every time I have something with meat, I have an instantaneous craving for an ice cream cone. Or a yoghurt. Or a slice of cheese.

I think I have an oppositional-defiant streak, but why it only surfaces with the meat/milk issue, I have no idea.

Contrary to a rumor started by The Husband, I do cook. I made a stew last night for Shabbat. All good stuff: meat, a nice red wine, broth, seasonings, potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms......and almost unconsciously I tasted the stew, picking up a spoonful of the broth with a small piece of meat in it.

"Mmmmmmm," I said, savoring it, and then almost immediately thought, S***! Now I'm fleishik!" That moment of appreciation for a dish that shows every sign of turning out splendidly was immediately spoiled by my own contrariness.

Okay, so I can't have ice cream. So what? I'm on a diet and don't even keep ice cream in the house, ferhevvinsake!!

Why does this bother me? I think because its such a little thing, and I feel like I should be above it, and also, I have this suspicion that I'm the only person in the world who suffers from this perverse temptation to run out and eat a grilled cheese sandwich immediately after eating something with meat in it.

2 Comments:

Blogger bec said...

like you, i also have these obnoxious cravings. a really good burger makes me think how it would be even better with cheese on it, and of course, it's hard to resist the desire to cover a good meat sauce or meatballs with freshly grated romano cheese.
my biggest problem is that i'm a foodie (not in the snobby sense, just that i really love cooking and eating good food) and many of the things i've loved in the past were so not kosher that i cannot even make them kosher by any stretch of the imagination or culinary design.
so i can totally relate.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 6:51:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

Ohhhhh, thank you!! I'm NOT the only one!! I can forego the cheeseburger since I was never much of a burger fan, but I really miss genuine lasagna, enchiladas in cheese sauce and my great goulash with a sour cream sauce! (Okay, there's Tofutti, but its NOT the same thing in the goulash!) The Husband loves to cook also, and he was most vociferously against going kosher initially and losing things like lasagna.

We've adapted. Sigh....I'm glad to discover I'm not alone and there is another kosher foodie out there who also misses the same stuff!

Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 7:23:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Who Remembers What Day It Is Today?
  • Political Intolerance
  • A Million Reasons.....
  • OT: Palin
  • Weigh In On The Discussion!
  • Pass It Forward--A Shout-Out For Help
  • Whose "Honor?"
  • Gazans For Obama
  • Thanks For Nothing, Kadima!
  • Sorry
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger