Powered by WebAds

Friday, August 22, 2008

Kessef In My Coffee

I had something official to do downtown involving some bank, agency or lawyer a few weeks back. I hadn't realized how badly my Hebrew had deteriorated in the year I've taken off from ulpan during our Construction Project until I stopped in Arcaffe for coffee.

Now, I happen to really, really like the coffee at Arcaffe. The place is spacious, relatively quiet, the music is usually a quiet jazz and the tables are actually big enough to work on. Yossi came with me, since banking and officialdom generally require Hebrew skills quite a bit above Kitah Aleph.

I've figured out how to handle simple transactions in Hebrew, like ordering coffee in its various permutations. I can even bluff my way through some transactions, like the multiple offers of things I don't need at the cash register on my way out of the grocery store. I understand the offer, but not necessarily the details. I know how to ask to have groceries delivered, and how to ask for either regular or multiple payments on my credit card.

But on this particular morning, Arcaffe's cashier asked me a question I'd never heard before. We'd ordered cappucinos, which go by the name cafe hafuch (upside down coffee) here.

"Do you want kessef in your coffee?" she asked me, as if this was routine.

"Kessef?" I asked back, astounded. I looked frantically at Yossi. "They put money in the coffee here?" I queried, incredulously.

Yossi almost fell over laughing.

"Ketzef, Sarah, ketzef," he managed between gasps of laughter. "You know, foam."

Uh, yes, I'd like foam on my cappucino.....although for just a moment, I had this appealing mental image of a ten-shekel piece sitting in the bottom of my cup. Put kessef in my coffee, I'll drink here every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Moses Gunner said...

was just reading an article before I found this one called Drinking Coffee is a Health Lifestyle Choice," that made some excellent points on the benefits of coffee drinking. I suggest reading it.

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 11:51:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Gila said...

Oh, very nice. :)

Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 9:20:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Ahmadinejad Can't Get It Up
  • The First International Jewish Bloggers Convention
  • Palestinian Ethnic Cleansing
  • What Will We Think Of Next?
  • The Myth of Palestinian Concessions
  • A Camp For My Camper
  • Felonious Parenting
  • More Things I Didn't Know About Home Construction
  • People Watching--What Women Wear
  • You Are What You Read
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger