Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Without A Car

Being without a car gives one a different perspective. No more whizzing from one place to another. Walking slows you down, of necessity, and also gives you a view of Jerusalem from the sidewalk.

I've discovered shops and alleyways and small side streets I'd have never known existed were I driving...

I've been able to stroll up and down Ben Yehuda and explore the shops there, and listen to the Balalaika Man every morning...

I've hoofed it from class in Mercaz HaIr near Hillel Street back to our place on Chanoch Albek and found that while it's good for the overall conditioning, it's very hard on the out-of-shape body....yesterday, I walked back and then also walked all the way down Yehoshua bin Nun to the groomer's place for our afternoon appointment. Even the dog was worn out by the walk there and back. Then we went out to dinner with friends on Emek Refaim, which was close by--only about 6 blocks. A cinch after the rest of the day's walking---but I came back so worn out that I fell into bed and could hardly move this morning.

Walking also introduces you to people on the ground level. I have to ask for directions in broken Hebrew; I have to repel solicitors on Ben Yehudah; I chat with the security guys in front of every business I enter and with some of the customers in stores and the people standing in line at the Post Office. This morning I met Racheli and her mother, an Israeli of Ethiopian origin who spoke perfect English. Racheli wasn't speaking yet, since she was only 6 months old but she was very personable and flirted with everyone around her.

Today's walking isn't over yet. We need to pick up our nameplate for the door; pick up some salad fixings for tonight; pick up a parcel at the post office. We can do all of this in one 8 block circumnavigation of our neighborhood. It'll be good for me....and maybe I'll meet someone new to talk to....

8 Comments:

Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

These are all reasons why Jerusalem is the best place to live in the whole world.

Enjoy every minute of it.

J.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 9:55:00 AM GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah (and family) I will be following your exploits through this blog site. I miss you guys, and hope things go smoothly for you...

It's strange to hear of your experiences, realizing you are one of the most intelligent and articulate people I know.. Its like you are learning everything all over again... You WILL prevail!

Mike: Hang in there buddy! It will be nice to hear from you! I got your phone numbers programed into my cell phone!

Josh: Help the old folks out... :)

Love, Rich

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 8:57:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger 2R said...

Welcome to the neighborhood. You'll love Baka. It's quiet yet full of personality, perfectly positioned on the edge yet walkable (as you discovered) to the center...

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 11:59:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Toto said...

HI!!! we're here............I'm amazed that you've already started ulpan!

kol ha kavod! be in touch.........sus

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 3:26:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'm a bloging friend of "emahs".
i must say kol ha-kavod and mazal tov. i read most of your blog and liked it very much.
me and my hubby (more him facing the problem of making aliya.i try to show him that many others are doing it too with more to lose than us. did your husband find a job? and how are dealiong with that? pop at my blog and talk to me. i'm dying to go back to israel...

Sunday, July 9, 2006 at 3:48:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Jill said...

Well, your move has given you perseverance (surviving the move),an unfolding of new chapters discovering, learning, growing, and a new found 'exercise program' that has a view...who could ask for anything more?!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 2:02:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Basya said...

You make me want to come visit!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 8:29:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

Basya--Reuven, Pescha and Effie were just here--we can certainly handle a couple! Come!

Jilly--Mike's almost-too-tight-to-bother-packing pants now need a belt! Wish I could report the same great results--well, he's been here longer!

Chicagog--I'll be over to read! C'mon home! The place is crawling with olim and the bureacracy, while not more efficient, is certainly nice to us new folks.

Hi, EmmaS!! We DID IT!!!! I will definitely be in touch! Couldn't stand not being able to talk to people--even three year olds looked at me funny [grin]--had to jump into classes.

2r--thank you, thank you, thank you--it's a wonderful neighborhood--I appreciate the welcome from a neighbor, believe me!

Rich--I miss you, too, my friend--but we're not really apart, we're just separated by geography. You and I have kindred souls so we'll always have a special connection.

jerusalemcop--I take your words to heart. There isn't a day that I don't feel grateful to be here. I love finding the winding walkways through Baka, the sights from the Tayelet, the little stores down side alleys that contain unexpected and wonderful goods for sale, the music on Ben Yehuda--and the pastries! The best bread in the world is made in Jerusalem.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 9:36:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Olah Chadasha At Last
  • We're Here!!
  • 13 Days and Counting
  • What's In A Name?
  • Memorial
  • The News From Home
  • 26 Days
  • The Pet Aliyah Balagon
  • Daniel Wultz
  • The Final Push
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger