Powered by WebAds

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Final Push

I'm almost too tired to blog. After a month off for Pesach and packing, I'm back at work---and still trying to tie up the lose ends, eliminate household clutter, arrange recovery of refinished antiques for shippping and ridding ourselves of other furniture, gym items, old-but-usable jackets, excess kitchenware, etc. before the packers come.

The Husband leaves a week from Monday for Israel. He's in charge of two footlockers, a suitcase, two cats and a dog. The logistics of moving the animals to Israel isn't rocket science, but it is nerve-wracking. He's terribly afraid the airline will misplace them. His job is to settle into the furnished apartment and get everything up and running and the pets acclimated.

The packers come the next day. Everything left in the home will be packed and shipped to storage except for a couch and chair (destined for a friend) two lamps (destined for another friend) two mattresses (destined for the dump) with old, toss-away linens, and a television (destined for another friend) and Goodwill-bound cookware. Since the house was sold with the appliances, I still get to cook and microwave, and serve on paper and plastic. Something like camping, but indoors with TV. The computer stays for a while---the Boy can't do homework or pick up assignments without it. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it safely to Israel---will it survive, heavily wrapped, in the footlocker or should I pack it in my suitcase as carry on (just the tower)?

But the best part is that I'm retired as of May 19th--in time to take the Husband to the airport and supervise packing---and then I'm a FT mom for the first time in my life! I'm looking forward to the FT Mom gig--I just am not thrilled about the FT SINGLE mom part I play for the next month after the Husband leaves. "Do I have to speak to your father?" doesn't really carry the immediate threat it has now if Abba is 10,000 miles away. But I won't be bored--lots of people are arranging lunch/coffee meets to say good-bye.

I've arranged the internet banking options, started transferring the credit cards to on-line pay options (yes, I know the rest of the world has been paying on-line for a decade, but I'm very old fashioned and not good at this new-fangled stuff).

Then it's just me and the Boy--no husband/father, no cats, no dog and not much else. It will be a quiet but barren existence until school gets out. Then, I pick up the Boy at school around noon, he says his good-byes and gets his yearbook signed...and then we're On The Road. One night in Bakersfield to say 'farewell' to the world's best sister-in-law (BTW, Yael, did I tell you we're camping with you the night of the 14th? Got room? ) Then on to LA the next day for a farewell round of visits with the cousins and good friends.

Then on June 19th, G-d willing, we come home.

4 Comments:

Blogger westbankmama said...

I'm tired just reading about it!

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 11:55:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Toto said...

Right about now, you should be screaming, "CALGON...TAKE ME AWAY.."

SERIOUSLY, buy yourself some good bubble bath and indulge as often as you can! One good thing is that the bathtub will be there long after you're gone!

glad to know you'll have internet access when you arrive in Israel...you'll be able to fill us in on the nitty gritty!

HANG IN THERE!

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 7:33:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Jill said...

Kudos...for all the strides you have made!!! I can't believe the time has come, that my brother will be headed to the 'homeland' by the end of this week. It is a dreadful shame that schedules didn't permit us to get together prior to his leaving. If spirit can be felt...I am sending love, peace, and eternal joy to all of you!!!

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 9:44:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

jilly--thanks for the good thoughts--you'll see us soon, though--and if you want to see your brother, he's just a plane ticket away--we'll always have room!

susie--I may take up bubble baths--cheaper than valium and I can read at the same time!

WBM--c'mon! I know you had to do this too! Isn't this a rite of aliyah passage? I told my husband I'm positive that ours will be a successful aliyah--because I'm NOT packing it all up again, ever!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 1:37:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Winter Stream
  • The Date
  • Hebrew, The Language
  • Grocery Shopping Truisms
  • Aliyah -- Sacred and Profane Dimensions
  • Aliyah Means Never Having To Make Eruv Tavshilin
  • The Last Pesach
  • Esther's Grandma
  • It's Just A House
  • NBN Flight Dates
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger