Powered by WebAds

Thursday, May 25, 2006

26 Days

But who's counting?

Right. That's the time left between today and our arrival in Israel. The Husband is already there, trying to fix the dud shemesh at the apartment, purchasing minor household items (dogfood, light bulbs and so on) and getting it ready. He's been gone 2 and 1/2 days---and I hate it.

We're a couple who worked together in the same field; saw each other daily; often had a coffee break or lunch together. All of this was to make up for the craziness of our working schedules--we had time to touch base during every day away from the house and the office. The office has its own demands and the house was usually full of children-with-various-immediate-needs. We knew we were fortunate because we also know couples who each commute a hour in different directions and don't see each other during the day.

Addiction has its price. Now I'm suffering withdrawal. Well, it's not that bad, but I am unaccustomed to not hearing his voice, bouncing ideas off of him, sleeping alone, being the sole responsible parent with a decidedly two-parent child. The fact that The Boy misses him also doesn't escape me--he's being very manly, brave and adolescent about the whole thing, but in a moment of weakness, he confided, "I really miss Abba."

He probably also really misses Abba's cooking, which is superlative. Imma's cooking isn't any more. I was a superlative cook before I was married but when someone else preempts Head Chef position in a working woman's life, I'm not about to argue. I'm out of practice and at the moment, very unmotivated.

I could cope with this better if I could escape into something I have a desire to do, such as taking a class, reading a book, going to the beach, or something kef but that's not an option. The only option is to continue to sort and clean and pack while surrounded by the detritus of what used to be a home and is now just a lonely outpost of golus, and count the days.

But here's the bright side: when my greatgrandmother sent her husband ahead to the Goldene Medina, they were apart for a year--and there was no telephone, no internet, and given the cost of postage by Atlantic steamer, probably no mail. So I should just quit whining and count myself lucky, right?

Ah, motek, I really miss you!

4 Comments:

Blogger Toto said...

My hubby comes home tomorrow after a 2 week whirlwind in the holy land. He comes home and we have about 5 weeks left.........I feel for you though, but you'll survive. Make sure you have some sort of IM program and just catch each other online as much as possible! :) hugs...

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 4:48:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

emah s -- thanks....feeling low here...he doesn't have email or a cell phone yet....I'm sure once we get connected again, even remotely, I'll feel a lot better...I'm VERY glad your hubby has found the work he wants and you're making this last step together.

...and THANKS for the hug! ((-: I feel better already.

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 6:19:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Kapara said...

He will have a cell phone by Sunday for sure just.

We could also arrange a time for you to talk to him. Tell me when your going to call and all go to the apartment and you can talk.

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 3:44:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Jill said...

I was so happy to hear that the Mr. and the furry babies all arrived safe & sound, albeit, not without some hurdles to overcome in the process! I can completely identify with your sense of "missing what/who is part of you". Given that Bob & I have worked together for the last 13 years and have not been apart for more than a day or two, otherwise together almost 24 hours a day...your sense of normal & routine have been disrupted, and that feels foreign. The bright side is the renewed sense of love & appreciation you value a bit more as you 'fly solo' for the time being.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 7:10:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • The Pet Aliyah Balagon
  • Daniel Wultz
  • The Final Push
  • Winter Stream
  • The Date
  • Hebrew, The Language
  • Grocery Shopping Truisms
  • Aliyah -- Sacred and Profane Dimensions
  • Aliyah Means Never Having To Make Eruv Tavshilin
  • The Last Pesach
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger