Powered by WebAds

Monday, October 29, 2007

A(nother) Day At The Hospital

The Boy has mild cerebral palsy complicated by a seizure disorder. We were delighted to find an excellent neurologist in Jerusalem, Itai Berger at Hadassah Mount Scopus, who determined that the medication the Boy had been taking these many years wasn't being metabolized by his body, hence the seizures kept re-occuring.

We started a regime of new, different medication and it has made a huge difference: a kid less drugged, more alert, with more energy, more focus on studies and better social skills. He has been seizure-free for quite some time, so in keeping with the special ed school's recommendation to foster independence, we started letting him walk to and from school. It's really four long blocks, but they are doozies! He has to cross Derech Hebron, Derech Bet Lechem, the Railroad Road and Emek Refaim -- all of them crowded with impaitient drivers who all too often are talking (illegally) on their cell phones, yelling at other drivers, shushing their kids and generally divided-attention-challenged in one way or another.

Because his Mom is paranoid, I walked with him to school the first week. "Iiiiiimmmmaaaa," he complained (he is 17, after all), "I can walk by myself." And to prove it, he took off on those long legs of his, leaving his mother about a block to two blocks behind. Rather than chase him to school, I gave in with poor grace and admitted that at 17 he can probably walk to school ALONE but I wanted him to call me when he got to school so I would know he arrived safely. There was grumbling about that, but he gave in rather than have me shadow him every morning.

I'm concerned about his crossing the streets NOT because he doesn't know how--as a kid with vision impairment and seizures, he's been getting Orientation and Mobility training since 1st grade. He knows how to get around better than most adults. I'm worried about the crazies--the guy who decides there's no cop around, so it's safe to blow through the red light (killing the pedestrian he didn't see); the guy who decides to drive too fast because he's late and takes the corner without slowing (and kills the pedestrian in the crosswalk he wasn't expecting and didn't see until too late); the driver so distracted by her kids acting up in the back seat while talking to her mother on the cellphone that she hits the pedestrian in the crosswalk that she was too distracted to notice (slicha--taoot, doesn't do it, motek).

But this layer of concern is trumped at all times by the fear that the Boy will simply have a seizure on the way to school and end up falling in the street and being run over by some idiot on a cellphone.

And today he had that seizure.

I got a phone call from him just after he crossed Emek Refaim. "Ima, I don't feel so good," which is Boyspeak for "I'm starting to have a seizure."

"Where are you?!" I asked. He told me he had just crossed Emek Refaim. "Stay there!" I told him. "Sit down and don't move. I'm coming!"

Yeah, I'm coming--but after running to the car and getting into traffic (Jerusalem's answer to the Gordian Knot), I realized I probably would have reached him faster by simply running downhill the four blocks it took to get there. As it was, with it's maze of one-way streets and impassible traffic, it took me at least 15 minutes to get reach the road adjacent to Tal Bagels, where my son was lying unconscious surrounded by a crowd of concerned Israelis (G-d bless them!).

One man had searched Josh's pockets and found the keychain with our medical tag on it, and had already called Yossi (the only one of us who ALWAYS has his phone turned on) as well as an ambulance; another woman had helped take off the backpack and laid it down for the Boy to use as a pillow. When I got there and stumbled around in bad Hebrew, they were quick to assure me he had not fallen and not injured his head--they had made him lie down. A young guy with long hair ran across the street and commandeered a water bottle from Aroma so the Boy could drink.

My Hebrew was so totally absent from my panicked synapses at this point that when I parked the car at Aroma and tried to cross the street, I resorted to English: the ambulance is there, the road is blocked and some idiot decides to drive AROUND the ambulance into the oncoming traffic because, well, because it's Israel and he's in a hurry to get somewhere.

I was in the process of crossing the street to reach my kid and had NO patience. "STOP!!" I yelled in my loudest, angriest voice at the driver, and raised my hand as if to slam the sidepanel of his vehicle to indicate I expected the right-of-way. He was so astonished, and I looked so angry, that he simply slammed on his brakes and actually s t o p p e d. I appeared to have gotten the concept across without Hebrew....

The seizure was the worst I've ever seen: total loss of consciousness coupled with convulsions, which he has never had before. Prior seizures have all been what the doctors call "absence seizures" and usually manifest as a loss of focus, coupled with clamminess, sometimes temporary loss of vision, sometimes nausea and a need to sleep for hours (post-ictal state). Never convulsions. Never a seizure that lasts upwards of ten minutes (the usual time is less than 2 minutes).

The ambulance took us to Sha'arei Tzedek, a hospital I have heard of but never seen. As hospitals go, it was fabulous: quick registration near the ER, compassionate staff but efficient and good at keeping family informed and keeping an eye on the Boy. He was hooked up to a monitor for a few hours until they were sure he was all right, then moved to another berth. The ER doctor called our neurologist and got tests (all normal, surprisingly) and basically told me that "no one knows exactly what causes seizures--his blood tests are all normal, the meds should be fine, but we're going to increase the dosage in light of this seizure."

The ride to Sha'arei Tzedek highlighted one of the downsides of Israeli society. This is a country where people will cut in line, so Israelis jealously guard their places in line--often to absurdity. Any place where there is a line, newcomers check to see who is ahead of them, what number they have, and anyone who tries to cut runs the risk of lynching at the hands of the mob already in line.

Unfortunately, this line-obsession carries over into the traffic pattern. The easiest way to survive Israeli traffic is (1) don't be in a hurry and (2) let the other guy go first. Unfortunately, very few Israelis abide by these simple rules, and seldom give way to other vehicles.

This morning, the main road out of Katamonim was jammed with cars trying to make it to one of two major arterials to the west. This road is one way in each direction, with a raised concrete sidewalk-like barrier in the middle. The ambulance is trying to get through, lights on and siren blaring and NO ONE PULLS OVER. The ambulance ends up driving down the center of the road, wheels on each side of the concrete divider, in order to pass the clogged traffic.

I have a message for all of you Road Pigs on Golumb this morning: the ambulance driver wasn't running Code Three because the MDA crew was late for coffee! He was running Code Three because THAT WAS MY KID CONVULSING IN THE BACK OF THE AMBULANCE!!

PULL OVER NEXT TIME YOU SEE AN AMBULANCE!!!!!!

After hours at the hospital recovering, the Boy was sent home and slept the rest of the afternoon away, and is now up and hungry, so I am reassured that he is back to normal.

I'm not back to normal. I wonder if I can ever let him walk out the door again. I worried before about his safety and now the reassuring results of new medication are no longer a panacea against that worry. My fear of a seizure on the way to school was realized this morning. Thank G-d people were there to help him; thank G-d it wasn't in front of a bus but after crossing the street....but what about next time?

*photo credit courtesy of Canadian Magen David Adom

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a frightening ordeal. Hopefully everything remains stable from here on out...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:53:00 AM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy...what a mess....at least people stopped to help....people (not drivers) really can be good in this city.

Robin

(We met at the tachlis gathering over a year ago....)

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 7:11:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

tnspr569--thanks. We hope so too.

safranit--I will be forever grateful to that anonymous knot of folks who helped my kid and stood guard over him until I and the ambulance got there....Israelis are great almost all the time--but there's something about being in a car that changes their personalities.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 9:28:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger JJ said...

I have tears in my eyes after reading this; one of my kids also has certain issues and I worry about him as well. The combination of your son's seizure, the good-hearted Israelis who helped him, and the a-holes who wouldn't let the ambulance thru...not many blog posts make me that emotional. As I was reading I was praying for a happy ending- glad to see there was one, though not as happy as you would have liked, I know.

Just wondering, and I'm sure you know better, but would it be better for your son to wear the tag on a bracelet so it would be more easily seen? Or would a teenaged boy not want to do that? Glad someone checked his pockets!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 11:27:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

rr--we had the tag on a very masculine necklace, but he kept breaking it when roughhousing with friends; he will NOT wear a bracelet--but it was his idea to attach the tag to his keyring hooked to his belt loop over his pocket--anyone looking for his teudat zehut will see the tag.

Appreciate the comments--it was good for me to vent and the compassionate feedback is a blessing. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 1:38:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Baila said...

What a terrifying experience for both of you...As someone with a child with medical issues, it is so hard to give them the freedom they need and deserve. It will take time, but you and the boy will find equilibrium again someday soon, in the meantime, keep the faith...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:10:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Jill said...

Panic, frustration, & worry make for one heck of an adrenaline cocktail!

Your misgivings were waranted; additionally your description was so well put that I felt like I was along side you ready to 'address' the huried driver who attempted to go around the ambulance!

I am relieved, to read that this situation unfolded in a positive way and that the test results didn't reveal anything dire...I just wish they would have revealed something concrete.

We are sending all our love and hope that you come up with a plan that allows the young one some independence, while allowing you folks to have some peace of mind!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 5:33:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you (and the Boy) have to go through this. As to the medical tag, have you thought of buying him an "army dog tag necklace"? I think they sell them (maybe to tourists?) in stores around Jerusalem that supposedly have army surplus. It might appeal to his masculine pride to wear what the soldiers do.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 5:57:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

baila, jilly--thanks for the caring words and moral support; we're hoping that some day these will stop, maybe once he's out of adolescence....

WBM--I'll look for those! I looked for a Medic-alert bracelet but apparently they've stopped providing those in Israel, so we went to a shop and made up one of our own....yes, he would like something "army"-like; I just have to find it.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 10:59:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger Batya said...

Refuah Shleimah
What a fright. I was also very impressed by Shaare Tzedek's ER, when we took my father there.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 at 2:03:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

muse--thanks so much...things are better now but we're scheduling an EEG and follow up with the neurologist just to make sure...

Thursday, November 1, 2007 at 4:34:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree perfectly with you. People do not give way to Ambulances. Thats why we from Rotary Club of Madras Perungudi did an awareness program on 'Give Way to Ambulance' involving 200 School and College Students.

You can read about this program in The Hindu dated Nov 20, 2007

Monday, November 26, 2007 at 5:25:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Migdal David
  • Moving Day
  • HAMAS and the Wolf
  • HOT News
  • Cox & Forkum Takes A Bow
  • "To" and "To" in Hebrew; and The Big Felafel
  • Different Approaches To Aliyah
  • Down The Rabbit Hole...Where's Alice?
  • How Can You Have Peace When You Can't Even Have A ...
  • Yet Another Evil Zionist Conspiracy
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger