Powered by WebAds

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hit & Run Yenta-ing

Everyone knows that everyone is in everyone else's business in Israel, right? Everyone has an opinion, everyone has advice to give, everyone is a yenta. Some people think this is a bad thing. Not us!

I don't mind when people ask me personal questions. I draw the line at confessing age, weight and bank account figures. (The answer to the Israeli question "How much do you make?" or "How much do you have in the bank?" is always "Enough, thank G-d!" Thank you for this tip, Keren Dayan).

My husband's favorite story concerns the day he went to the market with a friend. Behind them, they heard two men start to argue about who was next in line. "Well, they were here first--let's ask them!" one man suggested. With this agreement, one of them tapped the Husband on the shoulder and asked which of the two men was the first to stand in line behind him?

My husband selected Candidate Number One. "Bah, what does he know?!" Candidate Number Two said disdainfully, and the argument continued.

On Yom Shishi, we drove the Boy to school (as Yossi wasn't around, having taken Ronit away on a long-anticipated vacation). Upon our return to the Baka neighborhood, we decided to park near Cafe Kalo and pick up some fruit and vegetables from the produce stand on the corner. For some reason never quite explained to me, the Husband chose a narrow and obscure side road to approach Derech Bet Lechem from the west. I thought we were in luck -- at the top of the hill, we could see an EMPTY parking space! We waited for the traffic to clear, then the Husband pulled to the left and backed smartly into this providential parking spot, less than a block from our destinations.

As soon as we were parked, a guy walks out of the shop across the street and down a ways and calls out to us in Hebrew. Not loudly or belligerently, but more in a tone of "Hey, you oughta know..." which the Husband understood but which went by too quickly for me to follow. As that man's utterance came to an end, an SUV drove by and the driver added to the shopowner's comments: "Yeah, its a 1900 shekel fine!" and kept driving.

Unbeknownst to us, BEHIND our parking space, visible only to the northbound traffic on Derech Bet Lechem, was a posted sign identifying this parking space as handicapped parking. Coming from the west, we never saw the sign.

But two complete strangers, seeing our mistake, casually and helpfully tossed the pertinent information in our direction to save us from a costly ticket, then went on with their day. If looking out for each other is being a "yenta" then I have to confess to loving living in a country where people take the time out to watch out for each other.

7 Comments:

Blogger Toto said...

I was also parked in a Handicapped spot this am, for all of 3 minutes, across the street from my building. (of of all of our building's guest spots were recently changed into a handi spot). Anyway, a neighbor came out and (duh, my car was still running, with kids and my mom inside), made sure to tell me, "You're parked in a handicapped spot!!" Somehow I think she was doing more yenta-ing and less watching out for me! Glad you were looked out for today!

Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 8:19:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

emah s--assume goodwill {grin}; loads of people are giving me advice and its generally directed at saving me money....like "don't jaywalk on King George" because the traffic cops are all over the place and ticketing folks constantly (300 NIS). Maybe it's the delivery that makes it sound less like caring and more like complaining...?

Monday, June 11, 2007 at 5:18:00 PM GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Eugene Gershin. I'd like to welcome you to Obadiah Shoher's blog, Samson Blinded: A Machiavellian Perspective on the Middle East Conflict.

Obadiah is a pen name of a politician. He writes extremely controversial articles about Israel, the Middle East politics, and terrorism.

Obadiah advocates political rationalism instead of moralizing. He is economic liberal and political conservative.

Google refused advertising our site and Amazon deleted reviews of Obadiah's book. Nevertheless, Obadiah’s is the largest Jewish personal blog, read by more than 100,000 people monthly. 210,000 people from 81 countries downloaded Obadiah’s book. The blog was voted the best overall in People’s Choice: Jewish and Israeli blogs Awards, received Webby Honoree and other awards.

Please help us spread Obadiah's message, and mention the blog in one of your posts, or link to us. We would greatly appreciate your comments at www.samsonblinded.org/blog



Best wishes,

Eugene Gershin

Jewrusalem.net – Israeli Uncensored News

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 2:11:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger gilan said...

I'm building a free website to allow people to share their stories and advice about making Aliyah, in an effort to inform and inspire others to do the same. I would love it if you would share a story or two. Please see the site at http://aliyahstories.nfshost.com/ and let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
-Gilan Israel

Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 5:02:00 PM GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love these stories.

To add to your list of posts to write, you've been tagged :-P

http://howtomeasuretheyears.blogspot.com/2007/06/tagged.html

Friday, June 29, 2007 at 7:25:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Lady-Light said...

I tried to post a comment on your blog yesterday, but was having internet problems. I wrote a whole piece about how when we lived in Israel years ago, a stranger admonished me for not putting a sweater on my 'freezing' child. I actually liked the intervention, because it felt as if the stranger was part of my extended family!
BTW--I also tagged you for the Meme of Eight (approximately!). I would be honored if you would read my blog, and add me to your blogroll.
Kol tuv.

Monday, July 16, 2007 at 10:40:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

My most "israeli moment" was when I got on the number 7 bus one morning to be told by a stranger that

"You should go to the orthodontist, your teeth are terrible"

That's honesty!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 1:31:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • If I Can't Eat It, I'll Talk About It
  • The Medical Merry-Go-Round
  • Reality Check
  • Disproportionality
  • The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  • What Is It With The Cigarettes?
  • ...and A Time To Scream
  • A Time To Laugh, A Time To Weep (Continued)
  • A Time To Laugh, A Time To Weep
  • A Monument and A Name
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger