Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 07, 2007

If I Can't Eat It, I'll Talk About It

I am shamelessley stealing this idea from tafka PP at Slightly Mad .

I'm on a diet. I've been relatively successful at shedding the creeping poundage of the last 7 years. Like most Moms, the last person you ever take care of is yourself, so when our house started running in crisis mode a number of years ago, both of us working 60 hour weeks, splitting shifts in Kid-watching, running errands and doing laundry at midnight, I stopped going to the gym. Big Mistake. Pun intended. Dress size numbers kept creeping up. Now, they're creeping down. The shirts I bought last summer are now tents; the skirts are so loose that some have been retired.

What magic is this? Diet and exercise. Same ol' formula. But, as the Poet said, I still have "miles to go before I sleep" and if I want to be my old svelte self, I think I need to do this diet thing for the next year (it's okay--I'm now used to it and I like the results) and the exercise thing forever. That's okay, too -- I love to swim. Twenty to twenty-five laps a day is all I can do right now, but I'm working my way towards 40, which was my personal best after work for many years.

But food! Slightly Mad has a food meme going that is actually a great idea--veteran olim and newcomers can all chip in and share favorite spots.

So, here's my list of my 5 favorites:

(1) Steak Bibi in Talpiot: it's a grill place, with chicken, liver, beef, steak and kabob with starters that in Spain would be called tapas but here are just called salads. Good food, good price, nice people, and excellent parking if you drive. Beer and soft drinks also.

(2) Kalo Cafe on Bet Lechem: don't believe the panning that the Jerusalem Post's oh-so-Tel-Avivian reviewer gave it (the same reviewer who didn't know the difference between flan and creme caramel in her review of a Mexican restaurant). It was panned for being too junky-looking, too crowded, too Anglo with small portions. NOT!! Portions are big enough that I usually have to draft the Boy or the Husband to finish mine; its crowded because its really good; if its junky looking, it's because the furniture is all mismatched and funky and we like it that way, thank-you -- keep the modern minimalist chrome stuff in Tel Aviv, okay? Yeah, it's Anglo. It's also Israeli. The owners are Moroccan. Get a life and get over people speaking English, all right? We're also here to stay.

(3) Joy on Emek Refaim: okay, I know it's a tourist hot-spot, very Anglo crowd, American prices (but NOT 1868!) but the food is fabulous every time we go there. I usually get the steak salad if its on the menu, and its huge, its delicious and the Guys finish what I can't.

(4) Pasha on Pierre Koenig in Talpiot: maybe we were unusually fortunate, but we wandered into this Persian restaurant one night, not knowing much about Persian food, and daringly ordered stuff off the menu without really knowing what we were getting. It was all great! The waitress talked me out of ordering schwarma, pointing out that later in the day the schwarma won't be as tender as earlier, and I'm glad I followed her advice.

(5) Ragu on Bet Lechem: a meat Italian restaurant that provides excellent foccacia, excellent wine and wonderful ragu sauce. In the winters, I always order their soups, which are fabulous and a meal of soup and focaccia is plenty for me. The Husband inevitably orders the Spaghetti with ragu sauce--thick, meaty red sauce with lots of meat and a pureed root vegetable base. Yummmm. They're also open Erev Shabbat for Shabbat take-out, but come early. It goes fast.

You'll no doubt notice that everything is in the Talpiot/Baka/German Colony area....it's not that I don't love the downtown. I do. It's just that when we go out to eat, it's generally evening, and since we were car-less our first seven months in Israel, we got into the habit of walking to neighborhood eateries.

Personally, I'm in search of a genuine Chinese restaurant. Have car, will travel for Chinese food. Desperate ex-San Franciscan who really only misses two things -- fog and REAL Chinese food. I DON'T mean the bland, watered down, chopped meats and vegetables wholly missing traditional Chinese spices, oils and vinegars that is passed off to East Coasty Anglos as "real" -- I mean Hunan and Shechuan pepper pots with real peppers and onions cooked the traditional way. Can anyone out there help? Eilat is not too far to go for the Real Thing!

And while I'm on Asian food, does anyone know of a kosher sushi bar that serves oshinko-maki (the rolled rice with a pickled radish in it)?

7 Comments:

Blogger Toto said...

Hey, mazal tov on the shedding! :) It's an everyday battle for me!

As for sushi, there is one that has gone kosher downtown, GONG I think? It rates as so-so in my book.

chinese, years ago, there was one downtown, but for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. I'll let you know if I do,.

later, me

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 7:26:00 AM GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the congratulations on the diet success.

As far as the restaurants, Yoja (Asian?), Caffit (Dairy), Rosemary (Dairy), Village Green (Dairy), Marvad Hak'samim (Meat), and Sheyan (Asian?) are pretty high up on my list, among others.

I'm not such a fan of Joy. Cafe Rimon is good, though it's a scene, and you pay for the location.

Shabbat Shalom!

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 9:30:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

emah s--thanks! I lost the 'everyday battle' a few years ago, and now have to regain lost ground {grin}. I'll hunt for the kosher sushi--I heard "Domo" (Japanese for "thanks") went kosher but I don't know where its located....

tnspr569--thanks, also. I've seen Sheyan as I went past, but I didn't know what it was like--if its Asian, I'll have to try it. The Husband tells me Marvad Hak'samim is excellent but I haven't made it there -- yet.

I have fond memories of Cafe Rimon because when we visited Jerusalem during the Intifada, it was always open early for breakfast, and seemed to be the only place opened early for breakfast--so we ate there daily.

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 2:07:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Wow I'm honoured that you shamelessly stole! What a great MEME!

- Love Pasha as well, although I do wish they wouldn't change the menu. And as for good Chinese- if you want really good AND Kosher, you'll probably have to go to Tel Aviv. Although I've heard complimentary things about Sheyan. (When I win the lottery, I'll let you know!) I take it Yo Ja wasn't to your liking!!

Monday, June 11, 2007 at 1:05:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

tafka pp--tried Yoja several times because friends raved about it. This is NOT Chinese food--it is something else designed for western palates which looks like Chinese food. Tel Aviv is NOT too far to go! Anywhere for really good Chinese! Or Japanese! Thai is good, too, although I haven't seen a kosher Thai restaurant yet--I'm probably looking in all the wrong places.

Thanks for the 'bravo' but remember it was your idea first! {grin}

Monday, June 11, 2007 at 5:16:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger tafka PP said...

I can't access your profile, but feel free to email me (my address is in my profile) for restaurant recs- now I have a better idea of what you're looking for!

Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 5:32:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey

Do you know of any kosher restaurants on the tayelet in talpiyot (overlooking the old city)? Alternatively, do you know of any restuants which have a great view of yerushalyim and has table outside?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 3:39:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • The Medical Merry-Go-Round
  • Reality Check
  • Disproportionality
  • The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  • What Is It With The Cigarettes?
  • ...and A Time To Scream
  • A Time To Laugh, A Time To Weep (Continued)
  • A Time To Laugh, A Time To Weep
  • A Monument and A Name
  • Time Of Favors
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger