Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, March 01, 2006


Another benchmark in our aliyah today. We got an estimate from one of the shippers. Now we're waiting for two other estimates. I look at the cost embodied in these estimates and cast about for something else I can get rid of! We may go liftvan instead of container--we have our stuff and our daughter's stuff, although a lot of both can go into storage for a year. Yona will be in Bet Canada for a while, and we will be in a furnished apartment, so we can store items until we find a house/cottage/townhouse etc. to settle into.

Friday we go to the consulate to get Josh's passport. The following week Yona flies to LA to catch her El Al flight to Israel.

More exciting--NBN called and gave us a possible date for the first summer NBN flight. THAT makes it real. I have an event horizen now. (Don't ask--it's not official and I'm sworn to secrecy).

While I still have that feeling we are moving in stages (home here to apt there to another home in Israel, a lift now and lift next year) at least I have movement! As they used to say in Houston, "We have liftoff!"


Blogger Emah S said...

ugh, we're still waiting to hear SOMETHING from NBN. Have you gotten full acceptance from them? I guess since you're aiming for beginning of the summer, you're hearing now. They told me that we'd get a letter before Pesach, but the wait is killing me. I think I'll breathe easier when I get some definite dates and dollar amounts, ya know?

Monday, March 6, 2006 at 4:18:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

I've heard that they have our application and that it looks fine--except that they needed a copy of my husband's Israeli passport, and I need to get additional passport photos for Josh as well as an Israeli passport for him (Israeli citizen born abroad since his dad has dual citizenship). They told us 'no rush' on the paperwork and sounded very unruffled.They also told us we should have some definite flight dates by Pesach.

OTOH, my daughter Yona got her NBN grant in early November '05 for the December NBN flight---but there was some screw up on her paperwork in Israel not on NBN's part but on the Ministry's part--the shliach got my daughter's okay to make aliyah but only 8 days before the flight was scheduled to leave. She told them she couldn't possibly sell her car, pay off her bills and give two weeks notice in that period of time. NBN told her that if she didn't go on the 8th day, she would lose her grant. She didn't go--but she did reapply for the grant and get exactly the same grant money immediately thereafter--so she could make aliyah with the money in hand this week, but she just couldn't go on an NBN flight. She's leaving for Israel on Wednesday. She could have gone as early as January but she stayed at work a bit longer to help a coworker cover his paternity leave and make a bit more money herself. Hashgachah pratis--it all works out in the end.

I'm confident we will all get a letter from NBN as promised, and it should ease your mind to know that my daughter's grant was far more generous than any of us expected!

Monday, March 6, 2006 at 6:47:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Space Bags and Other Great Ideas
  • The Time That Is Given To Us
  • Lucas Valley
  • Friends in Israel
  • Frustration
  • My Photo
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger