Powered by WebAds

Friday, January 04, 2008

Travels With Yossi--Part One

I haven't been able to update the blog because I've spent the better part of the last week at Hadassah Ein Kerem. The Boy went to the ER by ambulance following the worst seizure he's had in his life. While generally one cannot die from the kinds of seizures he's had, this one included vomiting, and since he fell out of bed and landed on his back, I was afraid he would choke to death....fortunately the Husband is a big guy, and could do what I could not: roll him over on his side and so clear his air passage.

I found out that despite 18 months in Israel, I have yet to master calling the local equivalent of 9-1-1. Besides, when emergencies happen, my Hebrew flees the brain cells.

So I called Yossi. It was seven in the morning, and I knew he'd be up drinking a cup of botz while making breakfast for his kids. I told him, briefly, what was happening and asked him to call the ambulance, knowing he could give the driver directions in Hebrew that I was incapable of giving.

"Sarah, you want me to come?" he offered.

"No, that's all right, you have to get the kids to school, but thanks. I just needed help with the ambulance," I answered.

I went back into the Boy's room and watched things get worse. I yelled for the Husband to come help me turn the Boy so he didn't choke, and while Husband did that, I ran back to the phone.

"Is the ambulance coming?" I asked, a bit more frantic now.

"Yes, but you need to stand outside by the road and wave them into the parking lot," he cautioned. "What's happening?"

I told him.

"I'm coming, Sarah," he stated with the finality that I've only ever heard Yossi summon. A tone of voice that brooks no argument and no quarter.

He arrived right after the ambulance. He drove me to Hadassah Ein Kerem and spent the day in the ER with my son and me. When the staff took the Boy away for a CT scan, Yossi took me to the mall and helped me buy clean sweats and a shirt for the kid, then took me to buy something to eat for him as well.

"Food?" I queried. "Will the hospital allow this?"

I got a sort of smiling grimace and Israeli shrug as if to say, 'and who's going to stop you?'

"Believe me, he'll like this better than anything the hospital gives him," Yossi assured me as we carted a cheese boureka and an iced coffee back to the ER.

Yossi stayed with us until the Boy was finally admitted into the hospital for observation and more tests. I went home to an unprepared Shabbat....only to find out that Yossi's wife had done my Shabbat shopping for me and brought us a bottle of wine, loaves of fresh challah, a coffee cake for breakfast, and made rice as well as a chicken & potato dish for Shabbat dinner. Yossi's mom, a balabusta of the first order, also made moussaka and a variety of salads for Shabbat and then threw in an extra dish of chicken, meatballs and fresh peas so we'd have something to tide us over for a couple of days.......

These are ordinary Israelis who have sick relatives of their own, kids to pick up from school, homework to help with, kid haircuts and shoes to get, deadlines of their own to meet---but because we're 'family' they chipped in without a second thought and made Shabbat (and a little bit extra--we ate Moroccan all week) for us.


Blogger Baila said...

I hope your son is doing better. You are very lucky to have Yossi in your life, but I think you know that.

Friday, January 4, 2008 at 4:04:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Jill said...

Thank goodness for family...and Yossi & his relatives are acquired family, perhaps not by bloodline, but does that even matter?! Hope things are more back to normal, all of you haven't left my thoughts since this incident.
Much love & hugs~
Jilly & Bob

Friday, January 4, 2008 at 9:01:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Ryan said...

i hope everything turns out well. Its great to hear you have amazing friends

Saturday, January 5, 2008 at 12:30:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger JJ said...

What a truly wonderful family you have. And I hope your son is doing better, that must have been terrifying- for you and for him.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 at 7:29:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

Thank you all for your concern, kind thoughts and good wishes. So far, things look good. Only time will tell how the new medication works out, but the Boy seems in good spirits and doesn't have headaches or feel overly tired--all symptoms that may indicate the onset of a seizure.

I am grateful daily for Yossi and his family---and I know we have 'lucked out' in a major way by having this family 'adopt' us. Jilly, you're right--DNA doesn't count as much as actions: you are more 'sister' to me than my mother's other daughter, and Yossi is the brother I always wanted.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 at 7:42:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • BILU
  • A Dangerous Beauty
  • My International Internet Banking Nightmare
  • Why We Can't Just "All Get Along"
  • Are You Cold In Jerusalem This Winter?
  • Condoleeza, The Black Bigot
  • The Law Of The Garbage Truck
  • What Peace Process?
  • The 25th of Kislev
  • The OTHER Yossi
  • My Photo
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger